Friday 1 June 2007

Making my page look tops

To make my blog aestheically pleasing I needed to ensure the colours matched, for example the page was legible and the colours were co-ordinated. I decided I should research first and not trust my eyes, as my colour co-ordination may be not as good as I thought. So I was off to research to make my blog look great. I found a good website, a HTML colour code generator that enables me to match the colour scheme on my webpage. Pretty awesome. I could easily find out what colours match with one another, such as pink, blue, red or green, with one slide of my cursor. Yep all I had to do was slide the cursor on the primary colour generater and this smart little website gave me matching colours that I could use for my web page. After I found this website I was determined to find another. My belief was if I found a good site so easily surely there would be more out with even more information, and sure enough there was. Colour matching for web design had more functions on it. There was a colour wheel that gave me pretty much unlimited choice of colours, but I found it didn’t really help me in my cause just highlighted how many colours I had to choose from to make my page stand above the rest. Then I found a great link, an article on colour combination. This link gave me the meaning of colours, what they signified and most importantly for me what effect they had on screen. For those too lazy to go to the link I give you a brief overview of some of the colours. Check them out.

RED - Red tends to promote images and text, making objects appear larger and closer, though less than yellow coloured objects. Bright red can be annoying if used over large areas and is useful as a iconic colour to encourage people to act quickly eg. on buy or click here buttons. An apetite stimulant, red is useful for promoting products associated with energy ... drinks, cars, sports and games.

ORANGE - Orange backgrounds help images seem closer and larger, but avoid over use.Useful for highlighting important elements, promoting food products and toys.

BROWN - Brown is too low key if used broadly without texture or another color to enhance it. Useful for promoting food and outdoor products for work and play.

YELLOW - Yellow stimulates mental activity, generates muscle energy and attracts attention - it is the colour most visible to the human eye. Thus yellow objects move to the forefront. Cheerful yellow can be used to promote food especially in combination with other fruit and vegetable tones, children's and leisure products and is best used as a highlight. With overuse, yellow can be disturbing and promote anxiety.

GREEN - Images set in green backgrounds seem farther away.

BLUE - Blue does not require the eye to focus, images and objects recede in blue backgrounds. However an overuse can create feelings of cold. Although also popular with women, blue is the predominant favourite colour of males and is suited to web sites involving and promoting technology, medical products, cleanliness, air, sky, water, sea and automotives. Blue is the favourite colour of more than half of the world's people - it is the colour least disliked by most cultures. High impact designs can be created with combinations of blue, red and yellow. Combinations of light and dark blues can create feelings of trust.

BLACK - Black is an excellent technical colour and it assist targeting a sophisticated high-end market or a youth market to add mystery. Over a large area, black can be depressing. Though black backgrounds can enhance perspective and depth, they diminish legibilty of text. Useful for web sites for art and photography to help other colours to vibrate.

WHITE - All white rooms can be uncomfortable with a stark atmosphere. White is useful for a background or accent colour as it highlights other colours. White is perceived by the eye as a brilliant colour.

No comments: