Wednesday 13 June 2007

Counter

Last term I put a basic counter on my blog that only told me how many people had accessed my blog. This was all the information it had and when Jo gave us a different counter option I jumped at the option. A counter is not only good to have to boost your ego as you always try to compete with your friends about who has the most hits, similar to technorati, but you can also see what you can improve on your site. So recently I decided to use Sitemeter as a counter system. Since I only joined recently Sitemeter hasn’t been able to get a steady recording about my visitors, but when I was checking out other peoples sitemeter, (what can I say I was curious) I discover it can give more detailed than I first imagined. You can conclude many things from the Sitemeer figures:
a) If they hit your site but do not stay it is either poor in content or form and is not worth staying more than two minutes for. Therefore you need improve on both these two to increase the likelihood of visitors staying on your blog.
b) If you have no recent hits in the past week you can get an idea on your content may be out of date and visitors don’t find anything relevant. Therefore updating your page, or in my case my blog, is important to get constant hits.
I have noticed other sites have only had visitors say very quickly, under 2 minutes. That could be depressing but I suppose many people are browsing the internet and search until something of interest capture their eye. This is one of the reasons the aesthetics of the website is so integral. Before I joined Sitemeter I did have a 123 visitors to my blog which I was pleased with but the counter did not offer me nearly as much information as the lovely Site meter.

No comments: