Sunday 29 April 2007

World Cup


Wow the world cup is finally over. 2 months is a long time for any tournament, especially cricket, the games do last for up to 7 hours. As a cricket lover (a proud of it) I have loved the it, well most of it. It was filled with controversy, Bob Woolmer’s death, Pakistan and India not in the super 8, the length of the tournament and finally the world cup final itself. I can proudly say I watched the final, yep all 8 hours of it. It was a long game that went from midnight to 9am. I couldn’t miss the game, Australia has waited 4 years to be the worlds best again, to regain that trophy I was staying up and after all it was Glenn McGrath’s last game. The game was awesome, or should I say Adam Gilchrist was. “His maiden World Cup hundred will be mentioned in the same breath as previous final heroics from Clive Lloyd, the original master blaster, Viv Richards, Aravinda de Silva and Ponting himself.” The Sydney Morning Herald. His 149 off 104 balls will be spoken about for years to come and simply how good it was. I would love to say I saw every ball but sadly I did fall asleep for bout 20 minutes. I fell asleep when Gilchrist was on about 30, batting well and woke up bout half an hour later with the news that he was 8 runs away from a century. He must have exploded and just went crazy with 4 and 6’s everywhere. Why did I fall asleep? I made sure I didn’t fall asleep anymore and watched the rest of the match. I will always remember the 2007 world cup final as Gilchrist’s amazing century and Glenn McGrath’s last game. Congrats Australia

No comments: